The focus of this class is building the mechanical skillset needed to effectively engage threats with the handgun you would carry. Ideally you should have a basic skillset in being able to shoot your handgun with some degree of effective accuracy. This is not a beginner class and if learning to shoot accurately and manipulate it is your goal then our fundamental handgun class would better suit your needs.
- Drawing the handgun effectively and being able to shoot from different points of the presentation and close quarters shooting techniques.
- Ability to draw from different types of concealment and techniques for different clothing types and holsters including inside the waistband (“IWB”) holsters.
- Techniques to clear malfunctions common with this kind of shooting.
- Introduction of aggressive lateral or rearward movement while engaging a target while moving.
- Concept of being able to assess and use cover to your advantage.
- Although not a tactics class, students will be introduced to engaging a moving robotic target in close quarters that is controlled by one of our instructors. Hits can be recorded, and students can assess their ability on this dynamic training tool.
- Handgun (students may bring more than one handgun)
- If you carry a low capacity handgun like a Glock 43 or M&P Shield please have a least 6 magazines available. We have some loaner magazines available but please confirm this in advance
- For high capacity handguns, 3 magazines are recommended
- 350 rounds of ammunition
- Holster. Can be “in the waist band” type but bring a holder in case your holder does not meet our safety standards
- Clothing should be climate related but bring a jacket to use in the drawing from concealment portion of the class
- Eye and ear protection