Our Illinois Concealed Carry License (CCL) class consists of interactive class room instruction and discussion on all the topics mandated by the Illinois State Police (ISP). We encourage class participation, and every effort is made to give students a realistic understanding of the practical implications of the new responsibility they are about to undertake. This course is focused on the new shooter, and introduces them to the principles of using a handgun for personal defense. This course will exceed the requirements set forth by the Illinois State Police (ISP).
Our CCL class is comprised of three sessions in an effort to make our classes accessible to most schedules. These session are offer a la carte and may be taken in any sequence.
- Firearm safety including handling, home storage, vehicle storage, safety in the home with a particular emphasis on children in the home
- Basic principles of marksmanship
- Pistol knowledge, overview of weapon types and weapon familiarization
- Proper handgun selection; Equipment inspection and substitution if deemed necessary
- Ammunition knowledge
- Brief and range protocol/ weapon handling skills/ drawing from the holster
- All applicable State and Federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a firearm
- Interaction in this portion of the class is encouraged and is taught by a subject matter expert
- Safety brief and range protocol
- Fundamentals of marksmanship are addressed, demonstrated and practiced
- Practical range exercises
- Dry fire and live fire drills are designed to complement each other
- Focus on the mechanics of shooting and correct fundamentals
- Correct and safe technique for drawing the pistol from a holster
- Primer to the importance of mental conditioning, tactical thought process in conjunction with one’s mechanical knowledge and the realities of operating under the influence of stress
Equipment requirements as follows:
- Handgun. It is preferable to use a medium to full size 9mm or larger handgun. This class is geared to teaching fundamentals and it is our experience that small pocket type pistols can make learning the manipulation skills difficult and compromise safety. Rental handguns are available at the range.
- Belt and holster. Our preference is for a sturdy kydex holster or quality sturdy leather holster without thumb snaps or anything that can interfere with the trigger. Inside the waist band holsters will not be allowed for this class. If students do not yet own a holster or interested in trying the kydex holster, we will have holsters available for use.
- Magazine pouch and at least 2 magazines. Magazines/pouches available for use.
- Ammunition. Approximately 250 rounds of ammunition are required. Ammunition is available for sale at the range.
- Ear and Eye protection. Required. Available for use at the range.