In recent months there has been a surge of people purchasing semi-automatic carbine type rifles in part due to national media attention on a possible ban that is unlikely to materialize.
Never before have there been so many of these rifles owned by the average civilian, and this has led to the discovery that they are fun to shoot, easy to teach students to use as home defense weapons, and are extremely effective. Additionally, with the correct ammunition there will be less penetration than with most handgun calibers. A purpose built AR 15 that is light and maneuverable with a light mounted and illuminated sights makes for a very effective defensive tool, and some manufacturers will be focusing on this product for women shooters especially.
We offer this one day basic class to introduce students to the capabilities of this weapon system, and we will guide students on how to choose the correct upgrades and avoid over accessorizing their rifle. For students who do not have a rifle we have loaner rifles provided by DS Arms Inc., and students will have access to preferred pricing if they choose to purchase a rifle. If you have already purchased this type of rifle, this class will give you a good basic understanding on the level of training needed to be prepared to use this weapon system.
- Safety protocols, muzzle awareness and method of operation
- Routine maintenance and disassembly procedures
- Correct mounting of optics and accessories
- Tactical applications of a sling system
- Concept of line of sight vs line of bore and how it relates to close proximity shooting
- Fundamentals of marksmanship with a rifle
- Magazine exchange techniques
- Malfunction drills
- Zeroing techniques
- Different distance shooting
- Transition from rifle to pistol
- Eye and ear protection are mandatory
- Rifle with 3 additional magazines and 300 rounds of ammunition
- Acceptable rifles are the AR 15 type rifles, Ruger mini 14, Sig series and similar type
- Dress for weather conditions and bring water and snack
- We will have ammunition available to students who make prior arrangements with us
Tuition cost: $200.00